Monday, February 24, 2014

Reasons to write

You want to write the Great American Novel? Good for you, because I don't. I just want to tell my stories. It's nice to get them published, but, truth be told, I'd write even if they didn't. And if you're a writer, you know what I'm talking about. It's what you have to do. Something happens when you get published, though. You start to compare yourself with other authors. You worry that others sell more than you, are more popular than you. Goodness knows I have. You look at Facebook posts and you think "Why don't I have a fan base like that?" And then you sit yourself down and take stock. Reasons you don't write: To be the next J.K. Rowling. If you're hoping for this, good luck to you. For money. Which, if you do become the next J.K., you'll get. Otherwise, you'll be like the rest of us, and get a little. Which is nice. I like that little. It could always be more, but I'm happy with anything. To win everyone's love. Forget it. It's the Internet age. There are haters out there, and you're going to hear from them if you put yourself out there. The real reason to write (and don't forget it): the people, whether it's 6 or 600 or 6000, who read your stuff and like it. They're the reason to write. Yeah, not everyone's going to love your stuff, but those that do...cherish them. Write for them. They're your audience. They're your reason for being.

No comments:

Post a Comment