Sunday, February 10, 2013

There'll be a short pause for everyone to say "Who cares?"

When Jack Benny hosted his first radio show, back when radio was new and  no one knew quite what to make of the new medium, his first on air words were, "Hello, everyone. My name is Jack Benny. There will be a short pause for everyone to say, 'Who cares?'"

A funny line, but one that is hitting home to me right now. I've put off having a blog because, honestly, who cares what I think? And, more to the point, do I have anything to say?

As a writer, I like to think that my books speak for me. It's my characters and stories I want people to pay attention to, not my ramblings. But, who knows, maybe there is some soul out there who's sitting in some dank basement in his underwear (or hers, for that matter) thinking, Gee, I wonder what's going on with Stephen Osborne right now?

So for that one person and maybe his dog, this is for you. I'll try to keep you updated on my writing, what's going on in my life, and whatnot. Especially whatnot. There'll be a lot of whatnot.

Maybe I'll have contests. Maybe I'll auction myself off to the highest bidder, or just the cutest one. Or maybe I won't figure out how this thing works and it won't matter.

That last is probably the most likely scenario.

No comments:

Post a Comment