Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why didn't I think of this 2 months ago?

I'm nearly done with The Scarlet Tide, the third book in the Duncan Andrews series. I was, anyway. Last night, while working at my "real" job, an idea suddenly hit me. And, darn it, it was a good idea. Unfortunately, it means changing a few things I've already written. Why the hell I didn't think of this when I was plotting out the story, I have no idea, because it's a beauty of an idea, but I didn't. At least I thought of it now, instead of after I sent the book off to the publisher. That would have sucked. I'll just have to work a lot harder on it this weekend to keep on my schedule (self-imposed) of getting the manuscript done by the end of the month.

And I'm okay with that. I don't mind the work, once I actually get down to it. I'll procrastinate like anything before rolling up my sleeves and getting down to it, but once I get going I'm fine. I want it to be the best I'm capable of doing, and this idea will, in my humble opinion, improve the story.

Which brings me to another thing. I saw someone post their New Year's resolution on Facebook to write 7 books this year. 7? Really? 7? Back in the days when I worked at a book store, people used to joke about Stephen King writing a book a week. He didn't, of course. I don't think he's ever put out more than 2 in a year. Certainly never 7.

Maybe this person doesn't have a day job and writing is their only income. If so, I can understand wanting to publish as much as possible, but I still think that 7 is pushing it. Surely the quality of writing wouldn't be the best with this much output. Heck, I'm never satisfied that a book is ready but I force myself to let it go and get on with other things.

My goal this year: 2. Maybe three. Tops. Three would be nice. And a few short stories peppered in between. But 7? Jeesh!

8 comments:

  1. 3 a year sounds pretty damn good to me, but I'd settle for 2 lol.

    The trouble with some authors is they confuse quality with quantity. Glad you can tell the difference lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For you, Deeze, I'll go for 3.

      Delete
    2. I can't figure out the smilies on here, but if I could there would be one jumping up and down saying "Yay" lol.

      Delete
  2. Boy, it's not easy to figure out how to comment but I'm nothing if not... well, I'm sure I'm something. Hey, I like your dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this thing ate my comment. It was really brilliant. Alas, you'll have to take my word for it. Still love your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love more books from you since they always make me laugh. But I will gladly accept 3 a year since I think one from you is better than 3 from some others😀

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love more books from you since they always make me laugh. But I will gladly accept 3 a year since I think one from you is better than 3 from some others😀

    ReplyDelete